• An automated job control system for tracking, scheduling and reporting jobs
• The jobs can live on an Autosys configured machine attached to your network
Schedulers and the Application Servers are supported on: Solaris, AIX, HPUX, Linux and Windows servers.
Clients (Distant Representatives) can be run on Solaris, AIX, HPUX, Linux, Windows, OpenVMS, z/VSE, z/OS and Virtual Server Environment.
William Arntz who created AutoSystems Corp to promote it developed AutoSys. He'd partnered during the origin, development and finally the promotion of the merchandise with Frederick Lenz. It was finally sold to Platinum Technology International in 1995 (one of many systems management firms acquired by Platinum Technology that year). Platinum invested in functionality and new attributes including the JobVision and Xpert modules. In May 1999, Platinum was itself acquired by Computer Associates International, Inc. ("CA").
The AutoSys r11 structure is a 3-tier structure comprising Client utilities, Application Server(s) / Scheduler Server(s) and Database(s). A SDK continues to be contained with AutoSys r11 enabling inhouse code for connecting to the Application Server(s) in exactly the same manner as the provided client (representative and interface) parts.
What's an Autosys-job?
• A single activity performed on a machine that is validated
• Autosys-jobs can be defined using JIL or GUI
• Any command that is single, NT batch or executable script file. It contains a set of qualifying characteristics ,states specifying when and where an autosys-job should be run.
Autosys-jobs can be defined setting characteristics describing its behaviour and by assigning it a name.
Two approaches to define Autosys jobs are:-
1. Using Autosys GUI
• Autosys GUI enables to establish the characteristics that describe when,where and how an autosys-job should be run.
• GUI Control Panel can be used to define autosys-jobs Include areas that correspond to Autosys JIL sub-commands and characteristics.
2. Using job Info Language(JIL)
• A specification language that's its commands to describe when,where and how an autosys-job should be run.
• The characteristics are set to autosys commands